IHG Director Of Engineering & Projects - InterContinental Cairo Semiramis in Cairo, Egypt
Are you ready to be a Director of Engineering & Projects ?
As part of our commitment to giving you Room to Grow, we want you
to have the information necessary to take advantage of career opportunities
Is your career goal taking you toward a position as a Director of Engineering & Projects If so, read on and see if this position is
what you’re looking for…
InterContinental Hotels & Resorts ® look for charming, confident, sophisticated
and internationally-minded people who all they can to exceed guest
The Semiramis InterContinental centrally located on the banks of the River
Nile, within a walking distance of the shopping and commercial center, with
around 726 rooms and 70 suites, 11 international restaurants and one of the
largest meeting, conference and banqueting facilities in Egypt, TheSemiramis InterContinental Hote l is looking for a Director of Engineering & Projects to join our team.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Participate in the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget and financial plans.
Monitor budget and control expenses with a focus on energy management, preventive maintenance, and capital planning.
• Lead hotel renovations and other projects, negotiate contracts, and ensure timely completion of projects within budget.
• Ensure the effective financial management of the maintenance department by setting maintenance budgets, capital works program’s and engineering plans and ensuring that performance against there are regularly monitored and reviewed.
Responsible for the general cost control aspects of maintenance, the preparation of departmental cost budgets and their implementation and submission to management.
• Control the Capital Projects, in liaison with management, to ensure capital funding is effectively allocated and budgeted in accordance with company directives and philosophy.
• Maintain the condition of the physical assets of the hotel by carrying out any upgrading and project work in liaison with architects, interior designers and management.
• Direct day-to-day engineering requirements, plan and assign work, and establish performance and development goals for team members. Provide mentoring, coaching and regular feedback to help manage conflict and improve team member performance.
• Educate and train all team members in compliance with governmental and safety regulations.
Ensure staff is properly trained on quality and service standards and has the tools and equipment and is empowered to carry out job duties.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments.
Communicate with all hotel department heads to stay informed of maintenance needs and ensure timely responses to requests.
• Ensure the staff awareness of energy management within the property by conducting regular education and training programs on energy conservation and matters related to efficient operation of equipment in a cost-effective fashion.
• Ensure the effective management of the buildings environmental controls and energy conservation systems. Evaluate, control and record energy usage and implement and upgrade energy conservation systems.
• Ensure a technically competent maintenance staff by selecting, training and developing a motivated, well-qualified maintenance team. Carry out regular work sampling studies within the department and evaluate the performance and productivity of personnel.
• Contribute to the effectiveness of management decision making by representing the maintenance department at management meetings and staff meetings and by ensuring regular liaison with heads of other departments.
• Respond in a courteous and prompt manner to all guest questions, complaints and/or requests to ensure a high level of guest satisfaction.
• Carry out preventive maintenance program to ensure facility is maintained and in service for our guests.
• Ensure that technical support services quickly address, and where possible, anticipate, individual needs. Ensure the safety and comfort of guests and that any requests for service are handled in a courteous and efficient fashion.
• Oversee the physical operations of the hotel, including maintenance and repair and order parts and supplies in a timely and efficient manner while minimising waste and maintaining “green” initiatives.
• May be responsible for hotel security to minimise risk of theft, crime and other hazards. • Perform other duties as assigned. May also serve as manager on duty.
• Provide advice to senior management on all aspects of maintenance support, environmental controls and the operational efficiency of the property.
• Plan, implement and administer an energy management program by establishing energy reduction objectives, the maintenance of records and regular reporting of performance against these objectives.
• Ensure adherence to all statutory regulations and fire codes by regularly reviewing policies and safety procedures. Ensure that any tests and inspections required on plant by statutory authorities are carried out as and when required and that all records and documentation associated with such tests and surveys are correctly kept and/or displayed. Ensure that the hotel fulfils all compliance requirements.
• Ensure the effective operation of all the mechanical and electrical systems and equipment by implementing and managing a preventative maintenance program. Closely monitor the condition of the physical property and equipment by conducting continual inspections of the building. Ensure that preventative maintenance schedules are in operation and regularly upgraded.
• Contribute to a high standard of quality control within the hotel by actively participating in the hotel’s Quality Assurance Program.
This is the top Maintenance/Engineering job in a large full-service, luxury hotel with multiple sites and facilities, a number of major outlets, high-volume catering and convention facilities, and a large number of VIP and key guests. Supervises a staff of maintenance/engineering tradespersons and contractors. May oversee subordinate managers and supervisors.
Qualifications and requirements:
Have overseas and renovation
experience being an expatriate preferably in Middle East as he will
manage an Engineering brigade of 100 employees, assisted by 3 Assistant
Chief Engineers, Supervisors, Technicians and labors. Some college or
advanced vocational training plus six years of experience in general
building maintenance and/or construction and supervisory experience, or
an equivalent combination of education and experience. Hotel experience
preferred. Professional certification and licence if required by law.
Job: Facilities & Engineering
Requisition ID: CAI000891