Abt Associates Chief of Party | EGYPT VAS Project in Egypt
The International Economic Growth Division manages projects that are pioneering new approaches to agriculture, food security, climate change, and competitiveness—as well as monitoring and evaluating projects within these sectors. We work throughout Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East for chiefly governmental clients, including the US Agency for International Development (USAID), the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the Inter-American Development Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the World Bank and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Abt Associates seeks candidates for the Chief of Party (COP) position for the anticipated five-year USAID-fundedValue Added Agriculture Project. The project will build on USAID's investments in assisting Egypt's small farmers to export horticulture produce that meets international standards. The new activity will create additional linkages to provide high quality produce to local grocery stores, hotels, restaurants, and food processors in Egypt. The activity's end goal is to improve Egypt's food security through improved income for farmers as well as access to healthy and nutritious food for Egyptians.
Applicants must demonstrate a record of results in agribusiness, agriculture, economic development as well as an ability to design and carry out project activities in collaboration with multiple stakeholders. The COP should possess the intellectual, leadership and management skills necessary to develop, articulate and implement a vision for the project as well as extensive experience in the agriculture sector in Egypt.
- Be responsible for the overall planning, implementation and management of the project
- Build a motivated, results-oriented team that is effective in organizing the work and coordinating with partners.
- Assure the timely delivery of assistance under the work plan and coordinate with senior technical staff to ensure sharing of relevant technical models, coordination of activities and quality control of the work.
- Coordinate with the DCOP to spend according to plan and ensure compliance with USAID regulations.
- Ensure clear communications with clients and stakeholders about project activities and accomplishments.
- Coordinate with monitoring staff to ensure timely and well-documented data collection, analysis, and reporting in support of the performance management plan.
- Represent Abt Associates and the project to USAID and in public settings.
- Advanced Degree in economic development, agribusiness, agriculture or a related field preferred with 10-15 years of experience.
- Five to ten years of progressively responsible experience in international development, ideally with experience in agriculture, market linkages working with small farmers and value chain development, in addition to at least five years of supervisory experience.
- Private sector agribusiness experience is highly desirableExperience in modern technologies, post-harvest handling, value adding and marketing of agricultural produce
- Experience with USAID (highly desired) or other similar donor programs, ideally interacting directly with the donor regarding programmatic, strategic communications, and contractual issues.
- Working Knowledge with agricultural production and market-linkage in Egypt highly desired
- Excellent interpersonal, supervision, problem-solving, and coordination skills.
- Language fluency in English required, Arabic preferred.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS CANNOT BE CHANGED
(10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.